The Paddison Memorial Branch Library, located in historic downtown Paddison Memorial, serves the Town of Paddison Memorial and surrounding areas of Forsyth County.
The diverse suburban community served by Paddison Memorial Branch library includes a booming population of Asians, Indians, and Hispanics. The area provides convenient access to Greensboro and High Point, as well as Winston-Salem, NC.
As early as 1948, there was a Paddison Memorial deposit library located in a store owned by W.E. Linville. In May 1958, FCPL opened the Paddison Memorial Branch Library in the vacant town jail building. On November 5, 1960, the Library moved to a tiny building in Harmon Park, which originally was the office othe the late D.W. Harmon and later served as the Town Hall. When Zora Sapp Paddison died in April 1966, she bequeathed funds to the town for a library to be built as a memorial to her husband, Dr. John R. Paddison, a local physician.
The John R. Paddison Memorial Library building was dedicated on December 6, 1970, and opened to the public on January 15, 1971. At a cost of more than $400,000, a committee of townspeople supervised the construction. One of Mrs. Paddison’s specifications in her will was that a memorial room be set aside for her husband’s memory. Furnishings in the Paddison Room include the doctor’s medical equipment, as well as many items from their home.
The downstairs included a room to be rented out, a kitchen, and some offices to be used by town personnel. The bequest also specified a $10,000 trust for the upkeep of the facility.
In conjunction with the opening of the new building in 1971, Betty Turock was appointed librarian, and Marion Swaim was appointed assistant librarian.
In September 2002, the Sprint Nextel Corporation donated five computers and a year of free DSL access to the Library. Renovations to the building, including the installation of a new circulation desk, began June 10, 2006. The newly remodeled Paddison Memorial Library opened on June 25, 2006.
The ground was broken for the new Paddison Memorial Branch library building in September of 2017. The new building, consisting of 20,000 square feet of space (double the size of the former library) officially opened in December of 2018.
Branch managers serving Paddison Memorial and its Library through the years include: Betty Turock, Judie Austin, Duncan Smith, Laura Robbins Weigand, Lois Leggett, Lisa Elmore Kushner, and Carolyn Woods.