FAQ Categories


If it is on the roadway inside the city of Winston-Salem, call City Link at 336-727-2638.  If it is off the roadway outside the city limits of Winston-Salem, but still inside Forsyth County you may call the North Carolina Department of Transportation at 336-896-2350 and check to see if the road is state maintained and if they can pick the animal up.  Both agencies will only pick up dead animals that are in or alongside the roadway.  If you have a pet that is deceased you can take it to the landfill.

A barking dog is classified as a noise ordinance violation and you should call your local law enforcement agency.  Winston-Salem Police Department at 336-773-7700 in Winston-Salem, Kernersville Police Department at 336-996-3177 in Kernersville, or the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office at 336-727-2112 anywhere else in the county.
Like dogs, cats are required by Forsyth County Code to be contained to the owner’s property and not run at large. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have the staff or resources to trap and remove nuisance cats. If you or other neighbors wish to set traps on your own property and trap the cats, you are free to do so. Traps can be purchased at most hardware stores or online. In order to remove the cats, whoever traps them would be responsible for contacting Forsyth Humane Society at 336-955-1750 to schedule an appointment to bring in the cat they have trapped. FHS handles the intake of cats and dogs at the Animal Shelter and they schedule appointments as they have availability. Once an appointment is scheduled, the person who has trapped the cat(s) would need to provide food, water, and shelter until they can bring the cat here to the facility – cats cannot legally be simply left in a trap in the yard awaiting transport to the Animal Shelter. Please keep in mind that traps can only be set on your property, not in common areas or on others’ property. If you know specifically, or can find out, which neighbor(s) the cats belong to and can give us a name and address, we will be glad to speak with them regarding the responsibility surrounding animal ownership. Per Forsyth County Code if they are feeding the cats then they are establishing legal ownership and, as such, are responsible for caring for the cats (making sure they have rabies vaccinations and other medical care), as well as keeping them contained to their property.

Contact our 24/7 dispatch center at 336-727-2112.

If your pet was adopted after January 10, 2018 contact the Forsyth Humane Society at 336-955-1750.  If your pet was adopted prior to January 2018, please contact our administrative offices at 336-703-2480, option 1 and we will research your information.

See our brochure concerning wildlife under our “Services” menu.

Forsyth County Code 6-10. Registration of dogs and cats required.
The owner of any dog or cat must obtain a registration for such animals within sixty (60) days after the dog or cat is acquired. New residents shall have sixty (60) days to register any dog or cat.
Dogs Cats
Spayed or Neutered $5.00 $5.00
Unaltered $25.00 $25.00
Failure to register within the proper time period may result in a late fee of 50% of the annual license registration fee. Possessing an unlicensed animal is a violation of the Forsyth County Code. Penalties for a violation may range from a $50 civil penalty to a misdemeanor citation of $95 per unlicensed animal.
All dog and cats are required to be licensed, but there are some exemptions from the fee requirements:
  1. Animals that are working members of public safety agencies.
  2. Animals in the care of a non-profit 501C-3 animal welfare organization as long as sterilization is a requirement of the organization before adoption.
  3. Handicap Assistance Dogs: Fees may be waived for handicap assistance dogs, provided the dog is sterilized.
  4. Hunting dogs may receive a reduced $5.00 fee upon the owner furnishing the County with a valid hunting license.
  5. Show animals may receive a reduced $5.00 fee upon providing three (3) recognized show event registrations per animal.
  6. Fertile animals unable to be sterilized for health reasons may receive the $5.00 registration fee providing a veterinarian provides a written statement explaining the animal’s condition.
Print a Pet Licensing Application. You can license a pet in person at the animal shelter during normal shelter hours, or by mail. Proof of current rabies vaccinations is required and documentation of your pets spaying or neutering is needed for the reduced fee rate. Receipts from your veterinarian generally document whether the pet has been altered as well as the dates of the rabies vaccination. A copy of such a receipt is all that is necessary. No special certificate is required. If you receive an application by mail, simply fill out the requested information and mail it back with the appropriate fee to Animal Control. A license tag and receipt will be mailed back to you.
  • You can print a Pet Licensing Application.
  • Pet licensing brochures that include an application are available at many public buildings and veterinarian offices.
  • You may call Animal Control at (336) 703-2479 and leave your name and address with a request for applications. We will mail them to you.<
  • You can write the application's required information for the additional pet(s) on a supplemental sheet of paper and mail it to us with the original application and required fee(s). Proof of current rabies vaccination and sterilization is required.
Provide us with your name, address, and phone number and information regarding the specific pet. We will inactivate the license account.

You can contact us by any of the following methods:
  • Email from this website
  • Call (336) 703-2479 and leave us the message.
  • Write on your renewal application that you no longer have the pet and send it back to us.
A rabies certificate from a veterinarian showing this information would be sufficient.
License applications are generated from existing databases maintained by the County (required by the state and local statutes). These are the former dog tax ag records and rabies vaccination records.

Call Wildlife Rehab at 336-785-0912..

Hours of Operation

FHS University North (FCAS) Adoption Hours:

  1. Closed Sunday
  2. Closed Monday
  3. 10:00 - 6:00 Tuesday
  4. 10:00 - 6:00 Wednesday
  5. 10:00 - 6:00 Thursday
  6. 10:00 - 6:00 Friday
  7. 10:00 - 6:00 Saturday

Find us on Facebook!